• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

99 5.9 24 valve help wanted

The truck is a 1999 5.9 Cummins, for the past 6 months I've had intermittent problems which ultimately led to a no start, use to buck horribly until I turned it off and back on again, and it would run fine for sometime then back to bucking. Injectors are new, injection pump is new, so is lift pump. I recently took my ecm to get tested but they said they couldn't test it cause I tried to break into it (rookie mistake, I should've left it for the pros) which led me to buying a used one that came off a 2001 cummins, and still a no start, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you 

For starters, 2001 does not have crank sensor. The ECM will be looking for it. Have you changed your crank sensor. You can get the ECM flashed to your truck. Be careful, your playing with fire. Your PCM & ECM are not married. 

Thank you for the responses, last owner sold it to me cause he didnt wanna deal with the vp44, he said he changed the crank sensor and the cam, and the only codes I got during that time was a P0122, but I've had that one for the longest, with a P1689, and P0216 

• Staff

Were those codes cleared after the new VP? Did you change out the VP44 or did the P.O.?

A couple more questions;

Is the truck still on the stock fuel system? Has the tank been dropped and had the fuel cannister modified, screens taken out, and old lift pump taken out? How about a fuel pressure gauge? 

Edited by JAG1

The truck is completely stock, after I get it going Im going to run a raptor, and gauges, but I'm getting 20 psi at the filter, I've changed the vp 3 times, first one was cause of the woodruff key jumped timing, so in goes the 2nd and the 3rd was just to try and fix this issue, I had a lift pump running constantly fiasco but I changed the pigtail and it ran for the 30 seconds like it was suppose to, I might just go have it reflashed and pray that I don't ruin anything after I install it and try and start it, and thanks for the responses I've made multiple forums and got no clear answers 

• Staff

Raptor with the Half inch fuel lines right? So the fuel pressure stays within range of above 14 all the time. The relay is so important to protect the ECM listen to IBMobile. If you do the half inch draw straw in the tank is all the better.... makes about I lb of pressure increase and you can dump those clog screens. Need to place a large water & sediment removing filter before the L/P to protect the L/P, engine, the VP, and injectors. Then factory filter has less work and can stay good longer. 

Or Fit a mechanical lift pump and never worry about it again, no returning it to the manufacturer after it quits as there is nothing to quit, fuel pressure going UP with RPM not down and more than enough output to send a good flow back to tank even at idle.

Add in 1/2" line kit, basket pickup tube (draw straw as you call it) and a return into the filler neck and you are bullet proof. might also consider a spare belt and front seal 

A few people say you can't bleed them after a filter change...... not so. either fill the filter with clean fuel, fit a tiny electric pump just for bleeding  or as I found works great use a hand siphon pump. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 11:02 PM, AdanRod17 said:

Would my chances be better if I were just to buy a 1999 ecm with the same part #? And thank you for sending it in here, I'll take a look at it when I finally get ready to install the raptor 

Just a heads up depending on which gen of the raptor pump you have they only have a single sealed bearing. In short the seal on mine went and caused me a lot of headaches because diesel was able to leak into the motor windings and trashed it. 
I have since upgraded to the fass titanium signature series 125 gph with the extended filters. I was able to get rid of the stock filter but do make sure you replace the bolts if you choose to go this route you’ll blow your intake gasket. I push 19-20 psi all day with no problems. 

Edited by Cumminsguy5.9

• Staff
9 hours ago, Cumminsguy5.9 said:

Just a heads up depending on which gen of the raptor pump you have they only have a single sealed bearing. In short the seal on mine went and caused me a lot of headaches because diesel was able to leak into the motor windings and trashed it. 
I have since upgraded to the fass titanium signature series 125 gph with the extended filters. I was able to get rid of the stock filter but do make sure you replace the bolts if you choose to go this route you’ll blow your intake gasket. I push 19-20 psi all day with no problems. 

What year did you buy the Raptor when it was new? Can you give me any advice about both my 2nd gen trucks running the Raptor 150's? They were bought in 2017.

2 hours ago, JAG1 said:

What year did you buy the Raptor when it was new? Can you give me any advice about both my 2nd gen trucks running the Raptor 150's? They were bought in 2017.

Not too sure of the year it was on the truck when I bought it but it’s the block replacement one. These are the photos of the destruction of that bearing. It sounds like you have the whole system with the dual filters, if I’m not mistaken those were fine. I think the one I had was the second generation. 

C1DAAA13-4F75-4601-8D6C-44607B1BBE97.jpeg

F48EDD5E-56A2-4191-97C8-8C4E32BC84BB.jpeg

967E28B7-90CC-405A-B814-CAE063E90E54.jpeg

Edited by Cumminsguy5.9
  • Thanks 1

• Staff

That is just like the one I bought back in 07. It was showing weakness and had to be adjusted by turning up the pressure regulator a couple three times. Next I noticed it started dropping pressures more easily with less and less hard acceleration. When I bought another second gen I ordered the 150's for both. They seem to be doing better although the regulators are more finicky.

My big pre filter is Racor with a drain valve, clear bowl and running the factory filter under the hood.

Edited by JAG1

1 hour ago, JAG1 said:

That is just like the one I bought back in 07. It was showing weakness and had to be adjusted by turning up the pressure regulator a couple three times. Next I noticed it started dropping pressures more easily with less and less hard acceleration. When I bought another second gen I ordered the 150's for both. They seem to be doing better although the regulators are more finicky.

My big pre filter is Racor with a drain valve, clear bowl and running the factory filter under the hood.

I was never much a fan of the air dog systems. A couple of my buddies had the same issues with the same pump. They both in turn trashed their vp's.

33 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Is that a cigar box :whistle2:

Yeah that is a cigar box :thumb1:

1 hour ago, AdanRod17 said:

Thanks for yalls help, I'm for sure going to a raptor after I figure out this ecm problem, I'm still trying to figure out if a 2001 ecm can be reflashed to fit my 1999 but so far I havent gotten a straight answer 

Yes, it can. Read the last page of this thread.