• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Replaced batteries, Quadzilla no longer works.

I went to leave for work this morning and my batteries were low enough the truck would crank slowly but not enough to start.  I got new batteries at work and put them in when I got home.  My quadzilla is no longer working now.  I checked the fuses and the connections and got nothing.  I took it for a drive and can tell it's not doing anything.  

Did a little reading and I'm pretty sure I just ****** myself.  When my truck wouldn't start yesterday I put the trickle charger on it for just a minute before I decided to just get new batteries.  Apparently that's all it takes to turn a sophisticated  $750 piece of equipment into a damn paper weight.  I still have my Juice tuner, for $750 I could get a stock turbo and injectors to put back on my truck.  I'm gonna go find a wall to put my fist through now.    

14 hours ago, Sycostang67 said:

Did a little reading and I'm pretty sure I just ****** myself.  When my truck wouldn't start yesterday I put the trickle charger on it for just a minute before I decided to just get new batteries.  Apparently that's all it takes to turn a sophisticated  $750 piece of equipment into a damn paper weight.  I still have my Juice tuner, for $750 I could get a stock turbo and injectors to put back on my truck.  I'm gonna go find a wall to put my fist through now.    

How did a trickle charger burn out your quad?

18 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

Maybe @Quadzilla Power can fix it for you for a decent price

I'll have to call and ask, hopefully they are available next week.

7 hours ago, Max Tune said:

How did a trickle charger burn out your quad?

In the installation manual it says jumpstarting or hooking up a trickle charger with the device connected will void the warranty.  That leads me to believe bad things happen when you do one of those things.   What's really annoying is this was never an issue with my Edge tuners.  Why isn't there some kind of safety device in the Quadzilla that prevents it from getting damaged under those conditions.  

To make things worse my truck is now throwing a P0237 code which I assume is due to the map sensor junction with the lifeless Quadzilla.  My truck is now a complete slug requiring almost 3/4 throttle to get moving from a dead stop.  I guess I'll remove the quad from that equation to see if it fixes that issue.  I just got home from work and my back is killing me so hanging over my truck doesn't sound like a lot of fun at the moment.  

Edited by Sycostang67

1 hour ago, Sycostang67 said:

In the installation manual it says jumpstarting or hooking up a trickle charger with the device connected will void the warranty.

A trickle charger is going to void the warranty!?  If I would have bought a programmer that stated that in the manual, I wouldn't install the programmer.  I would put it back into the box, send it back, and get a refund.  

If I were in your shoes, I would challenge the manufacturer regarding that statement.

By the way (just my opinion), but you are much more likely to damage an electronic component when operating the said component during an abnormally low voltage condition, such as when you were trying to start your truck with low batteries, which everybody in the world has done at one time or another.  Also, the normal large voltage fluctuations from using the starter motor and / or grid heaters are far more disruptive than the fluctuations that could ever come from a trickle charger.  

Really..., a trickle charger will void the warranty?!

- John

• Like 2

Unplug the quad fram the MAP sensor and plug it back into the truck harness.. its sluggish because the ecu is essentially reading zero boost at all rpms/throttle positions.

I do agree that jump protection should have been something from the start.. its just not something you think about when jump starting a truck.. you're stressed out or time crunched on top of being stressed out. The last thing on your mind is "oh i need to unhook my tuner." 

@Tractorman, i dont think legal recourse is possible due to the fact that it is in the installation manual.. :shrug: dont know..

Man that sucks. I know I wouldn't think about unplugging the quad if I needed to jump my truck. I definitely wouldn't think about it with a trickle charger. I'll have to remember to tape reminders to each battery when I pull the trigger on one. Hopefully you can get some kind of help. Good luck.

I know a little to late but about a year or so ago I added a small fuse panel and running a 5 amp fuse to power the Quad.  I don’t know if that would save the Quad from a jump start or battery charger but it’s better than nothing.  Also I can pull the fuse if need be then reinstall my tune. 

• Owner

What's weird I've had my Quadzilla all these years and never thought to unhook the Quadzilla anytime I made the hundreds of jump start for other vehicles. The only Quadzilla failure which I don't think was a failure but the ground screw came lose and started running rough and misfired. Traded with DAP / Quadzilla Power and kept on going. Still to this day I've never unhooked my Quadzilla for jump starting. Is this because older version vs newer version? I don't know but no issues here...

• Staff

I can't see a trickle charger being an issue. The alternator would put more out than a trickle charger ever would. As far as a jump, our trucks have 2 750cca batteries in from the factory. There is already alot of juice there but unless you were to arc high voltage to it I don't see how it would damage the box. Maybe the low voltage attempt but even then I don't think that would do it either. I'm curious to hear what they say.

:popcorn:

• Owner

Personal thoughts on this...

Bad battery terminals could create a point of time hooking up the the jumper cables to the battery and then with the Quadzilla being wired directly to the battery could cause a surge effect of sorts. This is most likely why I don't have these issues I'm not directly hooked at the batteries for either ground or the power. Power I get from the PDC terminal at the alternator fuse then the ground I get off the body. So there is no way to surge anymore that typically is in the electrical system. Now as for my terminals I've still got my factory terminal yet and in super good condition. Just kept them covered in engine oil that all and never had corroded terminal of weak connections ever.

There is nothing tied directly to either the positive or negative terminals on my truck except the W-T ground wire mod which now has a new ground for the ECM/VP44 and the alternator charge lead. No other accessory wiring is tied to the batteries. All accessories are wired at the PDC stud. 

Tech support suggested I send the module in for testing, actually they ask for the Adrenaline module and the Iquad module.  I shipped them out yesterday and they called me today.  They said the Adrenaline module tested fine but the Iquad module wasn't working properly.  They reprogrammed it and tested it with multiple devices and it's working fine now.  Hopefully I'll have it back this weekend.  :cheerleader:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

@Sycostang67, I assume all is well now? Did they tell you what caused the issue?

Glad to hear she's back on the road.

They told me the Iquad module wasn't functioning properly and needed to be reprogrammed.  Once I hooked everything back up it took awhile to connect to again, long enough I was starting to worry but then it started and has connected right away the last two times I drove the truck.  

• 2 weeks later...