• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Who Has the Most Miles on a Dodge Ram Automatic Trans

• Staff

Or whats the most miles you ever heard on a Dodge trans that's original?

Mine has 82 k on it with no sign of problems. It's been hauling heavy about half those miles.

My 05 has 118K and has been run with a smarty JR on the 100hp setting for years pulling many over the top loads as can be seen here, a few loads close to the 40K overall rolling point.

My 02 went 150+K with 560 hp and 980 tq for many years of power pulling and a few races nothing but a replacement TC and VB and I did snap an output shaft but that is an in vehicle repair that doesn't require tranny removal so I don't consider that major.

• Like 1

• Owner

My 05 has 118K and has been run with a smarty JR on the 100hp setting for years pulling many over the top loads as can be seen here, a few loads close to the 40K overall rolling point.

My 02 went 150+K with 560 hp and 980 tq for many years of power pulling and a few races nothing but a replacement TC and VB and I did snap an output shaft but that is an in vehicle repair that doesn't require tranny removal so I don't consider that major.

Dang you did well... :thumb1: 

Dang you did well... :thumb1:

Key word is "Did" until the current 5.7 Hemi in my 2010 1500, burned up the 4th / od clutch pack which is pretty common according to the tranny shop for those of us who actually use our rigs and work them and tow with them. First auto I have had to rebuild since owning mid 80's GM rigs with 700R4 trannies which were junk in the stock form back then, wiped out many of them and replaced every one with a TH400, I have not failed an auto tranny in 20+ years. 

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2015 at 9:20 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Well... the 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 has a 46RE trans at 159k miles and only required a governor pressure sensor and governor pressure solenoid. Sad to say there was some debris in the pan but still good condition.

My 02 TC would slip and chatter during a hard accel when it was stock @ about 20K miles on it just trying to merge into traffic, once I added nothing but an Edge EZ it was really bad and that was running empty so I knew it would not last and was why I did a BD converter and VB before it failed and took out the rest.

Edited by Wild and Free

I went 182k on my 2nd gen before it started to slip so bad that i couldn't drive the truck. 

So when I had the rebuild done I upgraded the vb, solenoids, clutch pack and billet tc along with a few other goodies and came away with a tranny that was far and away better than the stocker ever was.

Never had any trouble with my 3rd gen but because I was going to pull more and carry more that the 2nd gen I decided I was going to proactivley upgrade the tranny before I had some trouble and I was on a trip somewhere and broke down.

So at 120k I did the upgrade to the vb, clutch pack, input shaft, solenoids, billet triple tc and other goodies.  I am not expecting to ever have to get into either tranny again in their lifetime.  :whistle2:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My stock auto lasted 77k with heavy towing, I now suspect that my trans was still fine but I went to put in a vb, and ended up doing a whole built trans.

Now she has 120k and since the issues were worked out it does tow good, minus the bull shot I deal with, like the alternator and such.

I would go with a good name builder like goerend, suncoast, revmax. And let them build you a trans to your specs.

My current truck will tow a house over, and has pulled one of our work trucks that died on the scale at 79,960lbs, but the company that built my trans I have not heard much about since they built mine.

• 6 months later...

I had a 99 4x4 24v with 218k on it when i sold it. Previous owner changed the fluid and filter every 30k miles. Most of its life had a slide in camper. It ran very well when i sold it. it was geared 4.10 with stock tires which Im sure eased the strain on the trans. I had a stock 12v with an auto and 3.55s and it was a slush box. Trying to take off with load behind wasn't easy I pittied the trans. 

Edited by moparguy55
  • Like 1

I'm up to 218k now and still original transmission. Tows daily 3000-12,000# trailer. I do go easy on it. Keeping rpms up and not lugging when possible. Seems like low rpms and high torque is hard on these.

I still fantisize about a nv4500 swap⚙

Edited by joecool911
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Every once in awhile my trans hesitates for a second, then it kind of hits a little hard into the next gear. Does this once every so often, not all the time. Is that just a band adjustment? 

Mine went to about 200k before I had it rebuilt, it wasn't slipping but it would not shift out of 2 nd unless you just over reved it for a while and it would finally let go into 3rd.

i took it in to a trans shop and he said the band was so wore and no adjustment left. He said he could fix it got a few hundred but with that many miles I just opted for a full rebuild

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...