• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What do you mean?

So for quite sometime now, been driving like a hyper miler. Or atleast, I thought. Try to drive within the power band, coast to lights, use brakes as little as possible.

So I got the idea, let's see how I do driving like a normal person. So instead of driving in2nd gear, to keep the rpms up, I drive normally letting the transmission determine the gear.

I went from an approximate 400 miles per tank to an approximate 600 per tank. I gained another 200 miles by just keeping the gear selector in drive!!!

Now I'm going to try and see what else I can squeeze from this puppy!

• Like 1

I got my best MPG runnning light, commuting on state secondary highways...  running 40-45...  in Drive.  If there wasn't traffic that made me slow, I could pull the minor little grades locked in high.  (Remembering I'm stuck with 4.10 ratio).   I was able to get 18s which is pretty good for this ratio.  (bad choice). 

• 5 years later...
On 9/3/2015 at 10:30 PM, hex0rz said:

So instead of driving in2nd gear, to keep the rpms up, I drive normally letting the transmission determine the gear

I want to know how you even got to 400 miles per tank while only using first and second gear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Staff
7 hours ago, LorenS said:

I want to know how you even got to 400 miles per tank while only using first and second gear.

He drives like me on back roads. Like an old grampa never worrying about time. Enjoying every moment.

Once between major wind storms everyone was warned to stay home, I left right then(total rebel) and got a three hundred mile run with no one around. It was sweet at 45 all the way.:thumb1:

• Staff

I haven't really made any long trips with mine yet. I did a 300 (approx) mile day once but was pulling my son's 5th wheel camper 150 of them (10k pounds) so hard to tell my highway milage.

On normal weeks back and forth to work, mostly state roads between 55-60 and an little highway at 65-70 and I was getting around 17.5 mpg.  Close to 500 miles per tank. Not bad for a dually 4x4 and 3.55 gears.

I don't wind her up much, usually shift at around 2k to 2200 rpm when empty. Not really trying to get max mpg's.

• Like 1

This afternoon I put on my 265/65/17s (30.7"). With my .69 overdrive, I should be around 72 MPH at 2,000. With the 265/70/17s I was around 74. Over 5% more aero drag for same engine speed.

Side note, either I lost a lot of rubber off of the tires I took off, or the steel wheels are a lot heavier than the aluminum versions!

Always figured they had to use more aluminum for the same strength (actually, even more stiffness so cast wheels wouldn't crack) so the steel wheels might be lighter. I think I was wrong.

Edited by LorenS

• Owner

Might be heavier in weight total but more durable to road salt, and oxidizing agents that they spray on the highway. My stock aluminum mags were badly pitted and then cracked from all the heavy hauling I did. I swapped back to the early 2nd Gen factory steel wheels holding up much better and being the aluminum mag were 16 x 8 and the steel wheels are 16 x 7 they fit the 245's much better. 

Twice now I have made the trip from Kuna to the Oregon coast(Depoe Bay) which is just over 500 miles on one tank of fuel.   Both times pulling my pop up camper.  I was usually just under 1/4 tank when I got there.  The first time, the truck was stock except for the stacks, the second time was with my current setup.  

• Staff

I think I have beat all you guys..... I made it from Susanville, Calif. to Beavercreek, Oregon on one tank. Yeah, it's only 485 miles, but That was hauling a 3400 lb slide in camper.  Don't ask how I did it :think:.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Staff
3 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

You only drive like 45 mph :poke:

Yep, Bud your right, but did you have to tell everyone :punish:.

Actually,  about a third of the miles 45 mph on some lonely back roads. Rest was on highways and interstate 5 on cruise control. I did top it off too before leaving.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I think I have beat all you guys..... I made it from Susanville, Calif. to Beavercreek, Oregon on one tank. Yeah, it's only 485 miles, but That was hauling a 3400 lb slide in camper.  Don't ask how I did it :think:.

Not bad at all! I might have beat that tho:)

Made a round trip from home (Snowflake, AZ) to Mesa, AZ to pickup this trailer for my son, 7300 lbs.

340 miles, 21.5 gal=15.81 mpg.

Keep in mind, this route is some of the worst ever. My home is 5800' elevation, I climb to 7800' then descend to 1500' with several mountain ranges along the way, with miles and miles of 6-7% grades....then turn around and climb back up the mountain with the trailer....

1214201102.jpg

Edited by NIsaacs
  • Like 3

• Staff
2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I made it from Kuna to E Wenatchee to Kuna on one tank this summer, 853 miles. I even had 6 gallons to spare. 

Sure do love this 55 gallon tank :lmao:

Now I know where to help myself in the wee hours when your dog tired sleeping....:thumb1:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AH64ID said:

I made it from Kuna to E Wenatchee to Kuna on one tank this summer, 853 miles. I even had 6 gallons to spare. 

Sure do love this 55 gallon tank :lmao:

I dont any of these places ya'll are talking about but when l saw 853 miles with 6 gallons to spare, come on. Forgot about the tank you put in not long ago.  That had me going for a second or to.:thumbup2:

When Dodge graced me with my intank pump I thought I had a miracke pump. Got 425 out of the first half with big smile face until I had to fill up 250 miles alter. The new fuel level sensor worked opposite the old one.