• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

what's the lates on Ball joints?

230K and it's time for new ones. i'm looking at dynatrac, are they really worth the coin? or will rebestose be as good.? or factory AAM ones? I don't mind spending the money if they are worth it.

Thoughts.

Moog is out.  I have a set of raybestos/ac delco pro waiting to get put in... they have been 100% sofar on the shelf! Haha.  

Interestingly enough, @Me78569 has had his truck apart and hasnt killed his dana spicers yet, iirc.

• Owner

The one truck I worked on last I assume had Moog joint but it was strange to see both upper and lower joints grease-able. I'm not a huge fan of Moog looking are some of the weird things they have done track bar wise and ball joint design wise.

More on Moog after digging a bit deeper...

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/blog/where-are-moog-parts-made/

germanyandchina.jpg

Edited by Mopar1973Man

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

The one truck I worked on last I assume had Moog joint but it was strange to see both upper and lower joints grease-able. I'm not a huge fan of Moog looking are some of the weird things they have done track bar wise and ball joint design wise.

More on Moog after digging a bit deeper...

http://www.aftermarketsuspensionparts.com/blog/where-are-moog-parts-made/

germanyandchina.jpg

The more important question is where did the materials for that joint come from? So it should really say "Assembled in Germany/China". German or Japanese products are typically higher quality than a lot of countries but if it's "made" somewhere with cheap Chinese material...

Lets back up here guys, Killer223 has a 3rd gen which is a totally different animal ball joint wise than the 2nd gen ball joints everyone else is talking about.

I can not believe he got over 200K on the original set, I have personally never seen one in this part of the country last more than 50k without being worn out.

I have Carli's in mine but there are other choices out there for less money that seem to be holding up as well in the 3rd gen world.

• Like 1

Sitting here reading this wondering if I was the only one that noticed that. On a different note I put Moog under the whole front end about 4 maybe 5 years ago and other than a little play in the drivers ball joint they seem to holding up just fine. Maybe I got these before they went south on quality. The track bar with the the big joint last about 75K and I have had to replace it.

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:20 PM, Killer223 said:

230K and it's time for new ones. i'm looking at dynatrac, are they really worth the coin? or will rebestose be as good.? or factory AAM ones? I don't mind spending the money if they are worth it.

Thoughts.

I bought a set of dynatracs last summer with the intentions of never having to revisit ball joints again. I only have 10k on them so I can`t speak for their longevity, but they do seem to be a quality piece. The only problem I had was I wound up needing a knurled set and I made the mistake of going through their headquarters in California... Big mistake!! I should have contacted the distributor in Texas where I bought the original set. The customer service out of California is with out a doubt the biggest joke I have experienced in my lifetime of working on my vehicles.  Joey at 4X4 factory in Texas is outstanding to deal with. Just don`t make the mistake of calling Cali for technical support. Joey can answer and fix any issues you run into on the fly.

the highest recommended alignment guy here in town said to use Moog and that the dynatracs are not as good as people say. so i know i won't be using him. and the only other option is BigOtires. And why would anyone get an alignment form a shop in the business of selling tires.? can't bring my self to do so.

So that said i might tackle this my self. :(

7 hours ago, Killer223 said:

the highest recommended alignment guy here in town said to use Moog and that the dynatracs are not as good as people say. so i know i won't be using him. and the only other option is BigOtires. And why would anyone get an alignment form a shop in the business of selling tires.? can't bring my self to do so.

So that said i might tackle this my self. :(

Imo, as long as your steering linkage joints move freely, it isnt bad to DIY.  If its rusted... well, it may be worth taking it somewhere. 

Plus, moog used to be good.  And it may just be our trucks that have the problem.  Our front knuckles arent designed well.  The guy might just be working on old info.  

Edited by CSM