• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

5.9 engine blocks, Killer Dowel pin a concern?

2001 coming up on 100K.  Do all late 90's and early 2000's have killer dowel pin problem or just the 53 block?  I know my odds of a failure are slim; coming up on 100K.   But want to make sure.  I'm unsure if "Mexican" block cracks more than the "53" series or if the killer dowel pin getting loose and falling is prone to one block or another or both?

Thanks

On 5/21/2017 at 7:47 AM, Me78569 said:

24v trucks don't suffer the same issue as 12v in terms of kdp.

Not true.  Dave Conrad (Fishin2Deep4U) posted the work slip from his Dad's '02 that had it fall out.  Not as prevalent but still the possibility.  This is not the repair slip which I could no longer find but some discussion about KDP/24 valves. 

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/380858-killer-dowel-pin-24valve.html

• Like 1

Might have to agree with @Russ Roth on that. From what I have read it is not uncommon. Rare in an 02 but not unheard of. The older the more likely it is there. I am going to be opening mine up real soon. I will be interested it what I find. Mine is am early 02. Bought it in October of 01.

• Like 1

I have a 99 and I had my timing cover off to replace the crank seal. 200k miles and the dowel pin was at least an 1/8" into the hole, so nowhere near falling out.  Just to be on the safe side, since I was in there, I took a center punch and staked around the hole in several places.  Now I don't have to worry about the dowel pin falling out and it didn't cost a dime.  You just need to move the metal around the hole in a few places just a small amount towards the hole.  Then the opening is smaller than the dowel pin and that sucker isn't going anywhere.

4 hours ago, dripley said:

I have to assume the KDP is what I am pointing to in the picture. Have not seen a photo of one in a long time. Mine is recessed maybe 3/16" maybe less.

KDP.jpg

That is the updated "stepped" case, so you shouldn't have to tab it, same on my 01'. That hole should be smaller than the dowel.

• Like 1

• Staff
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 3:56 PM, CTcummins24V said:

That is the updated "stepped" case, so you shouldn't have to tab it, same on my 01'. That hole should be smaller than the dowel.

Any way to tell if I have the updated stepped case without pulling the cover?

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

@dripley yes that is the KDP (Killer Dowl Pin). Just look closely if the dowel pin can slide out if so you should tab it. I'm never thought of deforming the hole. :think:

The pin is recessed back in the hole. I did not tab because I dont feel it is going to come. You would think if it was going to move it would have done it by now. Just not going to sweat it.

1 hour ago, CTcummins24V said:

Not that I know of.

088.jpg.88e0d37d1673ba406b5545d24bd1a6fa.jpg

Pretty much what mine looks like up close.