• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ground Reference VP44,ECM,PCM,PDC plus TC lock/unlock

You cut the one wire that comes from the other side for the other computer grounds that you ground to the timing gear case and get rid of that wire. Or you could just cut the Y out and solder enough wire to reach the passenger (aulilary) battery negative terminal. Right Mr @IBMobile or @W-T?

This is what I deciphered from W-T's post also.  

22 hours ago, Dodgeih said:

So... Trying to follow... Here's what i got in my head.... The alternator wire is pulled out of the loom and now connected to passenger battery. Then the ground is pulled out of the loom and the group of grounds is connected under vp with a jumper to drivers battery? Sorry lots of info that is slightly over my head so trying to follow along 

That's why I asked for a basic simplification of exactly what W-T actually re-wired

Edited by GSP7

• Staff
5 hours ago, Dodgeih said:

Then do you just hook up the ground that runs back behind the air cleaner back up to the battery on the passenger side? Since that ground splits into a y

The ground wire that comes from the auxiliary battery negative post clamp and splits in a Y has a connector at the end of each 'leg of the Y'. 

One leg connected to the ground wire that ran by the alternator, in front of the engine and to the point where the 4 wires spliced on to it.  This wire is unplugged from the connector by the auxiliary battery, cut of at the point where the 4 smaller ground wires join it on the left side of the engine and thrown away.

The other wire that runs by the air cleaner is the ground for the PCM.  This wire run is 2-#14 black/yellow wires from PCM spliced to a #10 black/yellow wire to a connector.  This connector joins the other leg of the Y which is spliced to the #8 wire at the auxiliary battery negative clamp.  

It can be either left plugged into the other leg of the Y connector or you can cut out the connector and Y splice at the battery.  Now find where the 2 #14 AWG  grounds for the PCM splice into the #10 AWG and cut out the #10 wire.   You can now solder the 2 #14 grounds to a new length of #8 AWG and the other end to the #8 at the aux. battery.   

• Thanks 1

The ground wire that runs back to the PCM goes thru a y splice then a plugin joint connector and to one more splice that is necessary. I woul go back to that splice with a new wire, no splices or joints, for a cleaner connection to the batterry.

You would not have to do this. You can just leave the wire as is and tape the y splice after you cut the other ground, from the drivers side, loose. 

• Owner

Technically the best design would of been come out of each device and ground right there next to the device. I know the VP44 has that nice threaded hole next to it that @W-T used. Now the ECM has the ground for the lift pump and fuel heater behind the starter right close to the ECM. The PCM you would have to go to the other end of the ground strap. That would cover the 3 main computers. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, trreed said:

I want to know how you kept your engine bay spotless for this long!

Morning trreed, the front radiator/multi-cooling condensers have been shrouded with inexpensive black plastic screen since day one to prevent any insects from plugging the air flow pathways. The "breather" puke bottle was removed and I merly extended the "tube" straight down as an "old fashioned" road-draft tube that were common in 1952. I played with the length of this "tube" as it drafts to the atmosphere when the vehicle is moving forward down the road. The "ventury" effect of the minor blow-by was "tuned" to dispel the "oily fairimones" without excessive deposits accumulating under the hood. It allows for a cleaner environment...because the humor of a diesel has a tendency to vomit all over itself. By doing this, I was able to find the length to complement the dispersal of the oily-mist to a precision lower drivetrain contamination discipline. An occasional wipe down of the front Dana 60 is all that is required. As for under the hood...with the lack of oily-mist contaminating all the surfaces I'm able to wipe the surfaces in the same manner as cleaning a firearm. As for the "nooks and crannies" I use a toothbrush only slightly dampened with a drop of WD-40 to "Swiffer" away dust and excessive accumulations. My insanity is fueled by a cold beer and good music as I doodle under the hood and it certainly makes things nice if I have to remove something during a repair. I've been under the hood for hours and barley get my hands dirty.   

2 hours ago, syndicateshop said:

@W-T that is the most beautiful engine bay I have ever seen!!!!!

Thank you...it's all for the appreciation of the mechanical newaunces and it astounds the "under thirty group" when they see an "old guy" with something that doesn't make sense. I never laugh as they approach me at a fuel station after exiting their Prius...it's fun to blow them away with real American muscle.  

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Not sure mine wss that clean when I left the dealership with it.

Good to see you back.

dripley...Thank you...I have six weeks to go and I'm fully retired.

Edited by W-T
spelling

1 hour ago, jeremyd72 said:

Where did you get your crimper and ends at? 

Jeremy, this is a cheap eBay purchase for less than $65 and it comes with ten pairs of dies. You can crimp from 8 gage all the way up to 4/0 gage. It's heavy but, it does a nice symmetric crimp with very positive results.crimper.JPG.8bd102b9051c6b8cb8f3b10e1aab62f0.JPG

As for connectors...I found my local battery retail facility to have the quality zinc coated connectors for about $2.15 a piece. The copper units are available at most hardware stores but, at nearly twice the price.

connectors.JPG.4bb5fd7f6667ceff6b4cbfcb3161f76a.JPG

I measured and cut my cables with extreme precision for appearance and serviceability...I wouldn't expect a shop who prepares cable ends to be as careful as I wished...hence, I did this myself. The end result is excellent and I feel the job was well done.

Guys...I must shut down for the evening...I won't be back until Saturday April 28th...thank you and safe travels.

Cheers,

W-T

• Thanks 1

Once again @W-T you did a fantastic write up.  I am very impressed with your attention to detail. I can only hope some of it rubs off on me. :thanks:

You better be careful with your great and detailed posts...we are going to expect this from now on :wink::smart:

L8tr

D

• Like 1