• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Everyone post a picture of your truck!

9 hours ago, dave110 said:

@GSP7 never fails to dissapoint! I need to do a trac bar this weekend. Looks like the 'mechanic' in that one pic knows what shes doing. Wish I had her number. Could always use the help.

Wow. I screwed that one up! I did not mean never fails to disappoint, I meant never disappoints. Now , back to my track bar.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hoopty car can't hang with the old Dodge. Towing 6.2 tons of mortar sand up a 5% grade, 6th gear, Edge Juice on level 3, pulled me down to 63-64 mph then just hung in there, 26,750 lbs GCW. The next hill is 6% so that required a down shift to 5th. Sorry about the sneeze, I should have edited that out:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHW2uGPAVJ8

Image (13).jpg

• Like 2

Not much of a picture, but yesterday I copied a grille insert idea I think I found on this site.  Used a rubber stair tread from Home Depot cut to size. Hopefully will help get IAT over 100 degrees while actually driving in 40 degree weather.

Update:  Not sure if it helped the IAT, but the coolant temp came up faster.  Without a transmission temp gauge, I can't bring myself to block off the bumper holes 'til we have lower temperatures on a regular basis.  Was 11 degrees last week, and will be close to 60 later this week.

IMG_20181117_162809.jpg

Edited by LorenS
Added results of my experiment.
  • Like 2

• Owner

As of yesterday... 

20181117_123334.jpg

I had to work for the day with the ATV plowing up all the weeds and brush between a friend in-laws trailers for him. Gary got a wonderful tractor but just too big for between the buildings so I volunteered to do the work for him. No pavement princess here its a work truck I continue to haul stuff, work with it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

As of yesterday... 

20181117_123334.jpg

I had to work for the day with the ATV plowing up all the weeds and brush between a friend in-laws trailers for him. Gary got a wonderful tractor but just too big for between the buildings so I volunteered to do the work for him. No pavement princess here its a work truck I continue to haul stuff, work with it. 

It’s my goal to have a work truck that looks almost entirely stock in perfect shape. I will continue to slowly go through my truck and restore all imperfections to like new.

I'm an engineer; I can confirm that engineers can do great things and usually design things right.  However, the bean counters at some point always start squeezing the budget.  Doing the best you can within a too-small budget can lead to undesirable consequences.  Of all my engineering friends, the only one I know who doesn't have to make less-than-optimal design choices works for Space-X.

Like a house, you need to figure out what's "builder grade" and what's of lasting quality!

• Like 2

• Owner
7 minutes ago, LorenS said:

I'm an engineer; I can confirm that engineers can do great things and usually design things right.  However, the bean counters at some point always start squeezing the budget.  Doing the best you can within a too-small budget can lead to undesirable consequences.

Someday we need to sit down and chat on the phone. I can fill your head with a ton of info on these truck and it would make your head spin on why did they do this and that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LorenS said:

Like a house, you need to figure out what's "builder grade" and what's of lasting quality!

I as a contractor have to use "builder grade" if thats all the owners budget will allow even knowing the next up is better way to do it. I struggle with that. Damn bean counters are everywhere.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 6:52 AM, LorenS said:

Not much of a picture, but yesterday I copied a grille insert idea I think I found on this site.  Used a rubber stair tread from Home Depot cut to size. Hopefully will help get IAT over 100 degrees while actually driving in 40 degree weather.

Update:  Not sure if it helped the IAT, but the coolant temp came up faster.  Without a transmission temp gauge, I can't bring myself to block off the bumper holes 'til we have lower temperatures on a regular basis.  Was 11 degrees last week, and will be close to 60 later this week.

IMG_20181117_162809.jpg

Im getting ready to throw mine in as well.

Looks good, nice job.

I'd consider making a small opening directly in front of the fan clutch, so hot air from that part of the rad can activate the clutch if needed.

Go ahead & block the lower openings after you make an access flap.

• Owner
4 minutes ago, ofelas said:

I'd consider making a small opening directly in front of the fan clutch, so hot air from that part of the rad can activate the clutch if needed.

As long as the grill is the only cover it will engage when the fan senses hot enough air. I've run this style of grill cover for the year with temperatures as high as 70°F outside and the fan will naturally lock on its own.