• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Filling oil filter when changing oil?

• Owner
2 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Image result for nope gif

Here you go the actual washable performance oil filter for Cummins...

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-7960-hubb-reusable-oil-filter-89-18-dodge-cummins.aspx

Manufactures website...

https://www.hubbfilters.com/

https://www.hubbfilters.com/oil-filters/

Close this window

Oh... I really like your GIF there @AH64ID ... :lmao2::lmao:

You same reaction is the same reason I will never use a washable air filter these truck. The only thing I own with a washable filter is my Honda ATV which is the OEM air filter by Honda. 

1 hour ago, GSP7 said:

OK kids,,,, what's this oil strainer out of?

:shrug:

s-l300.jpg

Easy one

VW beetle. From the 60's and 70's... Took a minute...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

Anybody using a spinner?  If so how's it working out?

I thought the lowest psi rated spinner operated at the our 5.9 max output.   In other words, not effective on our size.  

I have a Fleetguard CH 41102 centrifugal separator that I have loaned to a friend to fabricate the lines, fittings, and mounts as well as figure out how and where under the hood it can be mounted so both of us can have ideal engine oil filtration.  These units will filter oil down to .1 micron.  With a trip to Iraq and another trip recently to Kuwait, the project has had a few stops and starts but still waiting to see what he comes up with. 

In the mean time I am trying the Fleetguard LF 9028 oil filters.  Anyone have any experience or comments about these?  I have been using Balwin BD 7317 filters but not sure they are as good as I was expecting or wanting.  

Fleetguard Centriguard CH41102 bypass oil filter installation instructions.pdf

Edited by LiveOak
  • Like 1

But in the specs down a few pages it says 50psi minimum? But im assuming you have already been using it and it works? I thought our engines were more in the 40psi range. I've never had a true gauge on there im just going off the factory gauge

32 minutes ago, LiveOak said:

Fleetguard Centriguard CH41102 bypass oil filter installation instructions.pdf

A.  Enjoy the big sand box.  Guess depends on your job. Some people actually like it.

B. Look at pdf then down to specifications. First thing listed is required psi of 50.  That was the meaning of my post.  Do our 5.9 make enough psi in oil flow to make spinner work.  My understanding on a good day at max we could hit 50 or close to it.  Maybe not enough for spinner to even spin.  

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Here you go the actual washable performance oil filter for Cummins...

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/p-7960-hubb-reusable-oil-filter-89-18-dodge-cummins.aspx

Manufactures website...

https://www.hubbfilters.com/

https://www.hubbfilters.com/oil-filters/

Close this window

Oh... I really like your GIF there @AH64ID ... :lmao2::lmao:

You same reaction is the same reason I will never use a washable air filter these truck. The only thing I own with a washable filter is my Honda ATV which is the OEM air filter by Honda. 

VW beetle. From the 60's and 70's... Took a minute...

It was on the vans too. Got to study one when the wife ran hers out of oil.

1 hour ago, 015point9 said:

A.  Enjoy the big sand box.  Guess depends on your job. Some people actually like it.

B. Look at pdf then down to specifications. First thing listed is required psi of 50.  That was the meaning of my post.  Do our 5.9 make enough psi in oil flow to make spinner work.  My understanding on a good day at max we could hit 50 or close to it.  Maybe not enough for spinner to even spin.  

I spent a year over there during Desert Storm.  That was enough "working vacation" for me.  :cool:  My oldest daughter is doing her part in the 17 year war in Trashcanistan as a nurse.  She is getting a BIG dose and a FULL plate of the real world.  Not this decaying, communist leaning, house of cards called FUSA.  

I called the Fleetguard and they put me in touch with one of their engineers who was familiar with this centerfuge.  He told me that it would work on the 5.9 Cummins.  Most of the time the oil pressure is in the 50 psi range or enough to make the centerfuge work.  Worst case is that it does not spin or does not spin fast enough at idle and/or low power but your are still getting full flow oil filter protection with the standard oil filter.  

Is anyone currently using the Fleetguard LF9028?

Edited by LiveOak
  • Thanks 1

@LiveOak

Relay to your daughter a big thanks . My daughter is a nurse also but not 1 day of any service to our country and that deeply bugs us both.  Myself and wife both retired military (mostly reserves) and she was my payclerk as an E-3 in the early 70's and after 44 years of marriage i guess she still is my payclerk:)

Here is pic out of oil pressures right out of service manual. Notice at 2500 rpm there is 30 psi of oil pressure.  That is not enough to make spinner work imo.  Maybe others have more info, as I dont know much.  But couple years ago I tried to find a spinner that worked at lower psi and couldn't find any.  20181019_203231.jpg.ad0e7e838683b9a858977bce8f5ebc07.jpg

• Staff

That’s minimum pressure, not operating pressure. 

Ive never seen below 40 above 2000 rpms and it’s normally in the 55-65 range at 2000. To dip below 50 above 2000 takes oil temps above 230°, which means heavy towing on a big grade. 

I looked into the spinner liveoak mentioned, but fitment is difficult. It is designed to work on ISB thou. 

1 hour ago, Killer223 said:

i used the 9028. for about 60K miles. didn't see a difference in the oil reports to make the price of it worth it.

Unless you had a UOA with particle count you won’t see the difference in filters in a UOA, unless one fails or plugs.  

The goal with better filters is increased life due to decreased wear. 

• Owner

This is where I poke at the thread a bit more.

How does a person like @cajflynn go 1.3 million miles on nothing more than Fleetguard filters and 15w-40 Delo and changing oil every 20k miles? Nothing special about the oil, nothing special about the filter, and nearly extending the change interval to nearly 3 times the book value? 

33 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

This is where I poke at the thread a bit more.

How does a person like @cajflynn go 1.3 million miles on nothing more than Fleetguard filters and 15w-40 Delo and changing oil every 20k miles? Nothing special about the oil, nothing special about the filter, and nearly extending the change interval to nearly 3 times the book value? 

I like to think Delo and Fleetguard are special products. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So reading through all this it appears that all the parts store filters are junk and Donaldson, Fleetguard, and Baldwin are the preferred brands. Just to put it in a nutshell what are the part numbers and where does one go to buy these filters for fuel and oil?

Edited by dave110

• Staff

I like Genos Garage because when I had a part problem they were so very willing to get it straightened out and in a hurry to do so.

BTW, I found it very easy to fill the outer holes of the oil filter by tilting it a little it inside a cardboard box,  setting things around it so it won't slide and dump out the oil. Another way is using the bench vise, but haven't tried that yet By tilting it flows thru more outer holes and won't run to the center hole.

Edited by JAG1

I buy oil and filters on Amazon only because I get free shipping and usually no tax.  I keep an eye out at Walmart for engine oil if the price is better (sometimes is).  It just all depends.  Geno's is an excellent company to deal with.