• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket replacement

I did check torque since I figure it came from the factory that way and lasted 440k and 17 years. If I ever go up on the power I will just add studs later.

It was a bust around here yesterday, rained most of the day and misty for the rest. We will see .

20190405_090206.jpg.1ca86a374c82ae78b6f4bcd170a3e389.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dripley said:

I did check torque since I figure it came from the factory that way and lasted 440k and 17 years. If I ever go up on the power I will just add studs later.

It was a bust around here yesterday, rained most of the day and misty for the rest. We will see .

20190405_090206.jpg.1ca86a374c82ae78b6f4bcd170a3e389.jpg

You did this under that canopy?  My hat off to you!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blueox01 said:

You did this under that canopy?  My hat off to you!

Thats my garage. I laid a plywood floor for the engine hoist. Not bad for this repair expect for the rain but every thing stayed dry. I pulled the tranny twice out there and that was no fun. The 3rd time I took it to a local shop I know and let them put the clutch in. It was in the dead winter and I could not make myself do that one.

Thats my garage. I laid a plywood floor for the engine hoist. Not bad for this repair expect for the rain but every thing stayed dry. I pulled the tranny twice out there and that was no fun. The 3rd time I took it to a local shop I know and let them put the clutch in. It was in the dead winter and I could not make myself do that one.

I tip my hat again to you! Twice!

• Owner

It was in the dead winter and I could not make myself do that one.

2 years ago I did a clutch just near New Years on my truck and that sucked still being the shop floor is still cold. The wood stove cranked up so when you stood up your about fried to death in 80 to 90*F room temp. The raced to get back to where it was cool on the floor.  :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, 015point9 said:

So what do those heads weigh?  

And are they somewhat "cemented" in place to get them broke free at first?

I would say about 200 lbs. Based on my brother and I lifting it out of the Saturns trunk.

Mine seemed a bit stuck on removal, but couple raps with the dead blow and some tension on the hoist and broke loose easily.

Edited by dripley

• Staff
On 4/6/2019 at 5:27 AM, Blueox01 said:

I admit when I've made a mistake, as with the tap for the head bolt.  No one's 100% right all the time

How many engines have YOU rebuilt? or is your technique from "big twin diesel" ?

Haha... zero, but we're not talking about rebuilding engines are we??

As stated, since you know.. words mean things, MY technique. Any more silly questions? 

You did make a mistake, but you didn't correct it yet. Then again, maybe the edit button isn't present for everyone, just mods/admin...I'm honestly not sure. 

Well start up will be tomorrow. Got the rockers all in, torqued down, and the valves adjusted. Return line on the head gave me fits, but I am done hugging the back of the motor. Was going to start it tonight but a missing spring clamp and plug in the intake stopped me.20190407_195510.jpg.abcebf3d38da64aeb9ca28d36dbc4e16.jpg

• Like 1

Be careful with the hugging...too much of that and you're looking at a sexual harassment suit. :spend:

You did a good job...I'm gonna drop my truck off at your house with a 12 pack in the front seat when my head gasket goes.  I'll pick it back up in a week...:thumbup2:

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Bullet said:

You did a good job...I'm gonna drop my truck off at your house with a 12 pack in the front seat when my head gasket goes.  I'll pick it back up in a week...:thumbup2:

I'll take that under consideration.

7 hours ago, dripley said:

Was going to start it tonight but a missing spring clamp and plug in the intake stopped me.

I seen @JAG1 sneaking around looking for something to do, may want to check down the intake pipe. 

6 hours ago, Bullet said:

I'm gonna drop my truck off at your house with a 12 pack in the front seat

6 hours ago, dripley said:

I'll take that under consideration.

No advanced payments, or he'll never leave the front seat.

4 hours ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

If you get a head done by @dripley does that make it a Chicken Head?  :shrug:

Good one,  feel the love coming your way @dripley

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

seen @JAG1 sneaking around looking for something to do, may want to check down the intake pipe

If he brings @Mopar1973Man with him we will have to check turbo too.

No advanced payments, or he'll never leave the front seat.

I figured the 12 pack was for the initial consultation.

Good one,  feel the love coming your way @dripley

The love never ceases to amaze me. 

• Like 2

• Owner

If he brings @Mopar1973Man with him we will have to check turbo too.

I'm not sure... But it might be the loose nut on the compressor wheel. It goes along with the loose nut behind the steering wheel too. 

2 minutes ago, dripley said:

I figured the 12 pack was for the initial consultation.

I was going to say leave a check with a comma and we'll talk about it. Not an impossible job, but not easy either. 

3 minutes ago, dripley said:

The love never ceases to amaze me. 

Poor chicken man getting the love slathered on thick with a putty knife. :lmao::hug: Ah, We got your back there Dave!

• Like 2

• Staff
1 hour ago, hdpwipmonkey said:

We kid because we care... or is it, we kid because we can.  I can never keep that one straight.  :whistle:

...... I think it's because 'Mopie Man' has given up after so many rebel members taken over his site. So beside himself he has resorted to riding a bicycle.