• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

You know when you're old...

015point9

41 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

How much was a gallon of gas back then

About 35 cents a gallon. Everything was a lot cheaper then, including wages. This also right before the arabs started pulling chains at the pump. 

This was full service gas too. Get a dollars worth and you were set for the night 

• Like 1

• Staff

I had a 64 Chev Malibu after the 57 Chev. Worked after school at a golf course for $1.50 an hour. my car payment was 36 bucks a month and could fill it up usually for around $4.50 at just above the empty mark. McDonalds was next to the gas station there and a Big Mac was 50 cents.

Anybody got a way stop laughing about IBMobiles post? I think I gotta go see the Doc. 

Edited by JAG1

I worked at a full service Texaco station. Don’t remember how much gas was or how much I made. My first vehicle that was street legal was a 64 el Camino. 283, 4 speed and posi. Engine was worn out but other than that it was pretty sweet. Sold that to my brother too. 

Mine was a 1962 Chevy stepside, I towed two of them home to make 1.  along with that came my first real job at 16. Worked at a true full service gas station with two bays, doing tires and lube jobs and AG tire repair. Conveniently right across the street from the high school, a couple hours a day after school and a full day on Saturday, I think minimum wage was around 2.75 an hour, I remember being on my parents insurance  for like 15 .00 a month.

On 4/14/2019 at 10:02 AM, IBMobile said:

Here I am working on it while my girlfriend watches.

747238262_h-armstrong-roberts-children-on-suburban-sidewalk-boy-playing-as-mechanic-oiling-toy-pedal-car1.jpg.cf190982c35805495727d3e6b0cbf4a6.jpg

My next car was a new 1970 Volvo 142S which cost $2850 pulse tax and license.

For some reason I don’t think that’s @IBMobile car, 

• Owner
On 4/14/2019 at 10:02 AM, IBMobile said:

Here I am working on it while my girlfriend watches.

747238262_h-armstrong-roberts-children-on-suburban-sidewalk-boy-playing-as-mechanic-oiling-toy-pedal-car1.jpg.cf190982c35805495727d3e6b0cbf4a6.jpg

My next car was a new 1970 Volvo 142S which cost $2850 pulse tax and license.

Wow. Talk about a time long forgotten. Back when pedal cars are made of steel. Woman (or girls) wore dresses. I wish I could turn back the clock some times. 

• Like 2

Darn I'm so old I remember when the Air was Clean and Sex was dirty!  After my first winter on the motorcycle, I sold my motorcycle for $500 and bought a 69 Volkswagen.  The left front tire pointed left and it had the impression of the telephone pole where the front fender met the hood.  A friends dad had a 1966 front end suspension and away we go.  Had to shim the frame horn with half a Main bearing, couldn't afford to get the frame straightened.

After that I saw the light and started down the Chrysler road.  Been on it ever since.  Couple of side trips but mainly Mopar.  Just brought my 73 Challenger home to start resurrecting it this summer.

Michael

Guest 04Mach1

I still have my first car, a 1978 F150 . Worked my butt off for my grandpa for a summer for it. Second car was a 1957 T-bird that my grandpa challenged me with, it had been sitting for 20+ years in the New Mexico sun. He told me if I could get it to run it was mine. I got it running but it was 1997 and gas was floating around a buck a gallon. I was 16 working part time at $5 a hour. I "thought" I couldn't afford to feed 2 V8's so I sold my T-bird and bought a running 4 banger 1987 GMC S15 with 90k miles for $500. I wish I would have kept the T-bird and restored it now.

22 years later and still have the 1978 F150 that still runs and drives great. I also still have the 1987 S15 although it hasn't ran since 2008, although some fresh gas and a battery it would probably start right up.

• 3 weeks later...

You guys are probably not going to get this at all...... worked at a garden centre from 11 yrs old, weekends and school holidays but before that ( I kid you not) I used to go hay bale carrying and potatoe picking at the local farm for 50P a day which is 1/2 a £ but in the mid 70's so was maybe $3. My school jobs paid for my first motorcycle a Fantic 50cc which I had stored on the landing next to my bedroom for nearly a year before I was old enough to ride it, a fantic caberllero, suzuki 250, yamaha dt 250, honda 750 and mortgage and rubbish put paid to all that:)  had many a classic car but all british until  I was better off ££$£ wise

• Like 2

My first vehicle was a 1983 F-100 with a 4.9 and a 4spd.  I used that to haul my second vehicle home, my 1967 Mustang which I still have 23 years later.  It took me two years to get the title and even though my father told me not to put money into it until I had it, I couldn't help myself.  I at least had to get it running so I could play with it on back roads.  I even used it in a movie a friend and I had to make in high school. 

• Like 3