• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Help, looking for comparable trucks for sale… insurance co is not even close

So I am sorry, I know this isn’t quite the right section for post… but was closest I could find

Looking for people who may have similar trucks to mine, and what they would be willing to part with them for.  

Mine was stolen from in front of my house, and after a few months and more phone calls than anyone would consider reasonable, the insurance co and I are talking numbers… 

first number was $10k and second was $12

We aren’t even close, however I am struggling to find comparable vehicles listed for sale ….

it was a 

99 Dodge Ram 2500- 24 valve- Automatic (just rebuilt) , Short bed extended cab, leather seats (had just installed new ones that month), 225k miles, Fifth wheel and regular towing, upgraded HO alternator, fass lift pump, cold air intake,  

I know I am forgetting a lot, I’ll update as I remember 

Any help would be greatly appreciated…  thanks in advance

72E45866-4198-4B8F-929C-1C0C4C8E59A1.jpeg

9ABAD729-5429-4AF5-B6DD-B812ED682BA9.jpeg

FEFD5ECB-B37E-405B-AC87-02475ECE4207.jpeg

• Sad 1

• Staff

FB marketplace for the Northeast is all over the place. 11k to 25k. If its over like 300k miles or rotted you are down to the low end. Under 150k and clean its 20-25k.. and proper "clean" around here is zero rust. If it starting to show rust people still ask 15-20k depending on milage. People are brutal on both sides in regards to rust with second gens around here..

When i was looking for my truck there was a 94 with 400k miles but not a clean panel on the truck, nearly fully peeled clear coat, black paint was now grey, and the lower part of the truck was nearly gone.. still wanted 4 grand for it. 

I browse eBay for second gens a couple times a month, seems like people want more for some of the trucks than what they cost new. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve really enjoyed having mine and will for years to come but I can’t see how people can ask 25-30k for a second gen. 

what I see out there says a clapped out vp44 truck is worth ~4-5k the average high mileage truck is worth 10-12k and the low mile perfect condition truck is worth ~15k. 

Honestly don't think the insurance company is far off on price.

1 hour ago, dripley said:

Nice truck. I wonder when they slipped and HO motor into a 98 on a 5 speed.

😂 no kidding! Most trucks I see with a high price tag from a used car lot  say HO. Good ole used car salesmen! 

9 hours ago, Threadzy said:

😂 no kidding! Most trucks I see with a high price tag from a used car lot  say HO. Good ole used car salesmen! 

I did some more checking and according to Cummins Hub they did have a slightly higher HP level for the manuals in 98 but did not call them an HO until they strapped a 6 speed behind them. Marketing, you got to love it. 

• Like 1

IIRC the 98's showed 215 and 235. I remeber when buying mine the saleman started about the HO and 6 speed. I felt like Tim Allen, MORE POWER. I was a bit surprised to see it was only 10 hp and 20 pounds of torque more. But I did'nt care at the time, just put it on me so I can get back on the road.

• Staff

3yrs ago I paid $16,500 for a 2001 with 190,000 miles Laramie, every possible option. I called the credit union with some questions and the gal made the comment, ''Do you realize you paid 4,000 dollars over book value on this truck?" I said, 'that's okay because as we speak I'm adding another $4k worth the improvements on it'. Went on that I would pay it again. Around here that's what you pay as everyone is snapping them up if clean, original and on the  low end of average miles. Now if I sold today, 55,000 miles later, I would ask at least 17,000 for it.

If anyone got bent or ill mannered over the price I would say thank you very much I will wait for another buyer.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

I know it's not the same but if I sold mine here in the UK it would be £17k ish, there's a 3500 4x4 V10 on ebay on it's way here from Japan for 16.5k :fuel:  I wonder if the importer knows what the thing does to the gallon, no mention of it being LPG converted, cheapest petrol here is around £1.32 a litre or £6 per  uk gallon, I'll bet thats around £130 to £150 to fill it.

2500 and 3500 2nd gens never come up for sale here, one reason I think is because vehicle tax on anything older than 2001  is £240 or maybe £260 after 2001 it goes on emissions, take the 5.0 mustang £2500 first year road tax, this does drop after the first year somewhat but still eye watering, over 40 years old it's tax free and no MOT yearly inspection

US $23,461.70 for your trucks selling price, US $22,770.00 for the v10. (as of 07/06/21)

V10s get about 9-10 mpg (26.13-23.52 L/100km) whether towing at max or just driving on the road.

Was looking into getting one, but I liked the Cummins better. And there is less aftermarket power upgrades available for the v10. Biggest thing is they are choked down on airflow in and out. 488 cubic inches likes to breathe and in factory form they breathe through a straw.

• Like 1

I had 96 V10. I got 12mpg on the interstate, 6 to 8 intown, and 4 to 4.5 towing. Had to fill the tank every 125 miles or so. Made for a long trip towing. Gas was only a dollar a gallo back then. Still sucked.

Sorry to hear about the truck. Be sure to present the receipts for all work performed within the last 12 months. If you have an ACV policy on the truck the repairs will be added as "refurbishments" and the offer will improve. The transmission repair will help for sure. Another thing I would request is that you ask for an expanded search (go out a greater distance) when comparable vehicles are being added. Hope this was helpful.

just spotted a 2001 2nd gen cummins 2wd 2500 QCLB on ebay UK for 16.5k, bone stock even down to just had a stock replacement FLP and the seller has added that nugget as a selling point, ad also says intermittant fault with engine oil pressure sensor (did I read somewhere that after startup it's generated by the ECM

It's also had a recon vp and a new stock turbo  recently

My truck is 17k plus all day here £ not $

At this rate I'll get my 1940's duece and a half or a long nose semi sooner than I thought

You wouldn't believe it, today I went to the local supermarket for the stuff you cannot get at the cheapos (Aldi) on the way home through the village where I live and a Duece and a half coming the other way, in front of 2 WWII jeeps with every person in all the vehicles in WWII military clothing, must have been a show somewhere local

Duece was canvas back and canvas cab  winch truck...... sorry off topic but man alive I'm getting one when I retire :offtopic::wow: