• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Teardown and Rebuild

Thanks guys. It takes FOREVER to do it right... If I was slapping it together just to make it run then I could have already done it three times.... I will say this staying up till 1am then up at 5 for work is killing me. Here's tonight's progress

Damper... one last picture.

IMG_20150707_194205_482_zpsksz2gsp8.jpg

(Finished up the final touches on wiring) New return line for the power steering. New O rings on all of the A/C lines. and hooked them up. Then put in the intercooler, plastic shroud, radiator, and condenser. I know it looks like hell.... I'll be getting a new one before the A/C is charged. I hooked up both supply and return lines to the radiator.  I then filled up the oil filter and spun it on. Clocked the compressor housing and V band elbow, and I hooked up the charge pipe from the turbo to intercooler

IMG_20150708_242343_920_zpseckzibqr.jpg

On the drivers side I dropped in the fuel filter assembly and hooked up the supply line. Got a new O ring for the dipstick and installed it. Hooked up the fuel pressure sender, hooked up the charge pipe from the intercooler to intake horn. I also ran the vent tube off of the 12V tappet cover. (5/8 line is VERY tight)

IMG_20150708_242624_782_zps1xs4229b.jpg

Here's how she sits now. I'm really liking how the wiring turned out on it. I wish I would had done this a long time ago!

IMG_20150708_242649_259_zps91avucls.jpg

IMG_20150708_242717_477_zpsuu8gt2wp.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to button things up and get it running tomorrow or save it for thursday and rebuild the trans tomorrow. Either way you should see an update!

• Like 1

Quote " I will say this staying up till 1am then up at 5 for work is killing me."

Welcome to my world, that's pretty common for me working shift work at the mine 11 hour shift plus an hour travel time 4 days a week and then taking care of all of my own personal business and my Mother in laws farm and my exercise routine of 1-1.5 hours per day everyday "Actually hit a milestone 2 days ago 1.5 years without missing a single day of working out". Been really bad the last month since I am prepping a house for sale my sister and I inherited from my mother, just hit the market yesterday so now we wait. :hyper:

Doesn't get easier the older you get either. :(

You need to video the event of the first fire up, I don't want to miss the bellowing smoke you are going to see at start up.  You forgot to show pics of the proper piston ring orientation on the pistons before install too, could you get some pics of that for us? :evilgrin:

• Like 1

Doesn't get easier the older you get either. :(

You need to video the event of the first fire up, I don't want to miss the bellowing smoke you are going to see at start up. 

Yeah... I have lost almost all help from my dad due to allergy attacks, and my brother goes to bed before 9. My brother helped pull everything, but it's been pretty much a solo job except for putting the new parts in the engine and dropping it in the truck.

You just want to see it smoke from my lubed up pistons :gun:

• Like 2

Dude, I'm so jealous! This thing is like my dream engine build! I could never manage to do something this in depth, I'd definitely have to take it to a shop and get it done! Looking forward to the first start up!

Thank you! It's definitely been in-depth!

So when can I drop my truck off???

:lol: I'll start taking trucks when I graduate!

i'd get a comb for the AC condenser. then use some cardboard to protect it while working on the truck., else looks AWESOME!!!! talk about a labor of love.

A new one is already on the way. You can't see it in the pics but the bottom is bent under really bad. Guessing previous wreck or something.

Thanks for the compliment! It's turning into a love-hate relationship now haha.

Hey TF, did your farming get rained out?

We haven't farmed for almost a week. Consistent rain every night.

So I got everything together..... Filled oil, pushrods in, valve lash set, serpentine belt on, pour some antifreeze in it and it dumps it out of the pump weep hole. Just my luck I guess. I'll try again tomorrow.

Don't be rubbing your bad juju off on me Nick! Tonight is the night though :drool:

I did find out my bed isn't going to be done this weekend.... So I did buy a 1999 second gen half ton with a blown head gasket last week that I may try to drop a motor in and re-sell later. For now I think I'll throw that bed on the truck so I can start breaking the motor in. I don't want it sitting sitting for the next week so I guess the truck is going to be Red and Blue for at least a week.

• Owner

IT RUNS!!!!! Video coming later. Barely any smoke, surprisingly.

This thing runs soooooo smooth. I only ran it for five minutes (Per Hamilton instructions.) But it's nice to know it's running and seems to be running properly.

May I ask why? Why only 5 minutes and then shut down?

• Staff

It's part of the break-in procedure cam. They want the initial 5 minutes at 1200-1500 rpms to ensure that the cam hardens, and then recheck the valve lash. Not enough oil pressure or rpms can kill a cam right away so it is quite important.

Typically additional ZDDP is also recommended, especially if the break-in will be done on CJ oil. I ran Hamilton's ZDDP additive on my initial oil change and ZDDP Plus on my 3 Delo changes. When I went back to my regular Amsoil CI 4+ AME I stopped using the ZDDP additive.