• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Consensus on "leveling" a truck

• Owner
1 minute ago, portlandareae28 said:

How does the 1" level play into needing adjustable track bars, etc? 

Preferred. The axle will shift on the 2nd gen without a adjustable track bar.  Because of how the axle works on the 2nd Gen the axle swings down that extra inch and typically pulls the axle more to the driver side. Just best for the geometry factor.

• Staff
5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Must of been a 3rd gen issue.

At least mine for a 2nd Gen has never hit the bump stops in the front axle and the axle is long ways from the pan. 

Want to throw up a photo? The 2nd gen's I've seen have similar clearance to my 3rd gen, but the 4th gens are definitely higher. There did seem to be a larger variance on 2nd gen front spring/stance than 3rd/4th gens thou. Also, IIRC, the 2nd gen oil pan is shallower (11 vs 12 qts) and that will help some too. 

It's not clearance from the axle to the pan, but rather ground clearance to the pan. The axle is a nice protective barrier, but when the bottom of the axle tube and the pan are in the same plane there is less protection. 

5 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Preferred. The axle will shift on the 2nd gen without a adjustable track bar.  Because of how the axle works on the 2nd Gen the axle swings down that extra inch and typically pulls the axle more to the driver side. Just best for the geometry factor.

Not just a 2nd gen, remember aside from a few minor differences the front suspension was relatively unchanged from 94-12. Any track bar live axle suspension will move the axle horizontally as the axle moves vertically. The longer the track bar, which these trucks use a long one, the lower the effect. 

Edited by AH64ID

Maybe the 3rd gen track bar has ferry dust mixed in the paint.

I tow quite abit and always have almost 2k in the bed. 

With a 2" front level I still have a couple inches to squat to level. 

With welder truck is only sitting about 1" over factory height

20190816_121204.jpg

• Staff
18 minutes ago, Evan said:

Maybe the 3rd gen track bar has ferry dust mixed in the paint.

I don't want any ferry dust! The salt water will corrode my truck :tongue::tongue:

I know it's an upgrade for 2nd gens to use 3rd gen bars... but that's only for strength, as it's the same length. 

17 minutes ago, Evan said:

I tow quite abit and always have almost 2k in the bed. 

With a 2" front level I still have a couple inches to squat to level. 

Do you still have the 3500 suspension or did you put 2500 suspension in?

I know on 3rd gens the DRWs get stiffer springs than SRW's. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Owner
5 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Want to throw up a photo? The 2nd gen's I've seen have similar clearance to my 3rd gen, but the 4th gens are definitely higher. There did seem to be a larger variance on 2nd gen front spring/stance than 3rd/4th gens thou. Also, IIRC, the 2nd gen oil pan is shallower (11 vs 12 qts) and that will help some too. 

It's not clearance from the axle to the pan, but rather ground clearance to the pan. The axle is a nice protective barrier, but when the bottom of the axle tube and the pan are in the same plane there is less protection. 

Not just a 2nd gen, remember aside from a few minor differences the front suspension was relatively unchanged from 94-12. Any track bar live axle suspension will move the axle horizontally as the axle moves vertically. The longer the track bar, which these trucks use a long one, the lower the effect. 

Just posting the knowledge I've seen in lift kits and the screw up people have made. That includes using a com-a-long to put the axle over enough to get the track bar in because of a 2 inch leveling kit install. Never done leveling kit on either 3rd or 4th gen yet. Then the axle offset issues that they fought.

As for photo be another day being its raining all week here.

• Staff
1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That includes using a com-a-long to put the axle over enough to get the track bar in because of a 2 inch leveling kit install.

I've seen that done when not lifting a truck, just unhooking the track bar. Without a track bar the suspension moves to the balance point from the springs.. which in my experience is never dead center with the track bar. 

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Never done leveling kit on either 3rd or 4th gen yet. Then the axle offset issues that they fought.

Same as 2nd gen, up thru the 13/14 changes that is. Really the suspension from 94-12 is nearly identical. 

• Like 1

I was going to say the same thing. Seen guys do that with no lift.

Yes it's raining, wish it would stay in the mountains. 

When I did my 2" level it was so easy. Toss it in and drive.

Keep in mind lowering the rear affects castor angle but probly not enough to worry about. Though we seem to be picky on this topic for some reason 

As long gear ratio can keep up with the added wind resistance were golden.

• Like 1

My old 98 with ranch hand and winch set low enough in the front that the track bar or something else would hit the crossover bar with a good dip in the road. A 1" level fixed the issue but after a while I wanted a better ride so I went with Thuren's 2" coils and his white body shocks and the ride was alot better. This current 98 looked great with a rake but the springs were worn out and had rubber spring helpers between the coils so it rode pretty harsh. I went with Thuren's 2" coils again and Carli's signature series shocks and the ride is alot better but I wish it had a little more of a rake to it. I also have adjustable track bar and control arms.

I'm with Dripley here....... *** down and thats free, unhook and it's looking just right for me, as for height, that doesn't matter here as I can't park in multi's or go under ANY barrier to a car park anyway, come to think of it I can't park it anywhere but my drive as the bays are too small and a tyre/tire on a white line is £60

truck+.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Hey will440, where do you stash the metal detector,  you know, dirt fishing gear ? Or you don't have one yet ! :punish:

I don't have one yet   ought to really :doh: but surely there's only so many romans buried millions of ££££ worth of coins on this little island ?

Leveling a pickup truck=i should have bought a Ford SUV. Looks like a usable vehicle until you try to USE it. To me a truck sits higher in the *** end to compensate for a load ie in bed or on hitch. If you're just tooling around in a pickup with no real use for it you're wasting money at the pump. I have a POS Neon that i can use daily but it hasn't left my driveway in 5 months. It might not even start now. Don't know don't care till i need it. I use my rust bucket daily. Leveling is only surpassed in stupidity by squatting.

On 9/17/2019 at 11:24 PM, dave110 said:

2.jpeg

@JAG1 trying out his new level kit.

Hope to God no one would try to go down the road like this. 

• Staff
14 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

Leveling a pickup truck=i should have bought a Ford SUV. Looks like a usable vehicle until you try to USE it. To me a truck sits higher in the *** end to compensate for a load ie in bed or on hitch. If you're just tooling around in a pickup with no real use for it you're wasting money at the pump. I have a POS Neon that i can use daily but it hasn't left my driveway in 5 months. It might not even start now. Don't know don't care till i need it. I use my rust bucket daily. Leveling is only surpassed in stupidity by squatting.

Hope to God no one would try to go down the road like this. 

Thats from all the gold coins I dug up they're stashed in the back. :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 1