• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

CAD Questions

I have a 2001 (2nd gen. Cummins) 2500 4x4 SRW with the CAD system on the front Axle and needed a few questions answered. 1st post BTW and just joined...smile.gif..

The PO has disconnected the switch for the 4x4 at the CAD (the connector that plugs into the CAD). The switch/sender is still connected to the CAD but there is no connector anywhere NEAR this. I've looked up and down and it just is not there, so my question is, where does the connector plug into that runs to the CAD (i.e. as in where on WHICH wiring harness is it Tee-d off of)? Can a replacement be ordered and then just plug into the wiring harness on one end and the CAD switch on the other? Any pics showing both ends would be VERY helpful.

BDK

• Staff

Do you know why it's disconnected? Seems odd that it's just a random disconnection. 

Is it possible that it was a non-CAD truck that got a CAD axle installed in it for a repair? Can't recall if the CAD to non-CAD happened in MY01 or MY02. 

Or is there a CAD elimination kit installed?

I think they went non cad in 01.

I'd verify 4wd doesnt work before spending to much time.

My first thought was also that inner axle was swapped for a non cad 1 peice axle.

With the noncad axle it no longer needs actuator 4wd will be engaged when transfercase is engaged. Wether or not light on dash is lit.

2 minutes ago, dripley said:

My 02 has the CAD axle. Bought it in October of 01. Some other 02's here do not have them. 

Hmmm mines an 02 ,non cad.

Ah64

Is damn smart. So if the truck is noncad but has cad axle4wd wont work well or possibly at all since axle will be disconnected unless it has a inner axle for a noncad axle reinstalled in the cad axle.

I'm sure I've made no sence

IBMobile pointed me to the correct pages in the FSM.  I have connector C106 so it is my guess it is a CAD setup.  CAD is all there other than the switch harness, go figure why the PO removed it.  Anyone have a harness or know where to get one?

BDK

• Staff
6 minutes ago, BDK said:

IBMobile pointed me to the correct pages in the FSM.  I have connector C106 so it is my guess it is a CAD setup.  CAD is all there other than the switch harness, go figure why the PO removed it.  Anyone have a harness or know where to get one?

BDK

Have you verified there isn’t a CAD delete shaft installed?

Yep, all vacuum lines are these and no CAD delete that I can visually see, however have not opened the CAD block up to check.  I am assuming that with a CAD delete shaft it would be visible on the outside of the block, yes/no?

Think I found a replacement, but need the other end and not just the pigtail so I can plug-in on both ends...

https://torqueking.com/product/90002/qu90002-male-double-terminal-pigtail-for-weatherproof-switches/

BDK

Here are a couple pictures.

1037623858_Cadedited.png.45aba9cee99a88c139eab97b4614dbca.png

IMG_0468.jpg.6f79d35f57aea5d5d6119e24490056fe.jpg

The second picture is where I have removed the actuator assembly from the axle (and removed the vacuum motor)  the switch is still installed.  Notice the shift forks that extend out.  These forks need to go into the grooves on a sleeve coupling that slides from one axle half to the other depending on if you "want 4wd" or don't want it. 

279380361_vacuumportdesignations.jpeg.88f05a0b8f8a7bffdcf0cb9a3b58fa2f.jpeg

1074201345_VacuumLines.jpg.1e8907d77414b86f573d1e344afba897.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Haggar, very helpful!  Do you have a pic of where the 4wd actuator plugs into on the other end?  I know it is under the radiator on the right side from what others have commented.

BDK

If it were mine I'd install non cad axle shaft and plug vacumn lines.

My jeep has the same cad setup.  I welded the collar in place permanently locking it. I also have a noncad axle with lower gears thats some day going in it

Edited by Evan
  • Like 2

• Owner

I've got a CAD axle in my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 and absolutely hate the dang thing. Sometimes it will lock quickly and then fight to get it unlocked for +10 miles. I've replaced the vacuum motor, fork shoes, double check vacuum lines. Still a pain in the tail to get locked and unlocked. I agree with Evan either consider manual cable control or change axle. 

Another rare one is be climbing a grade but the manifold vacuum is low and have it unlock the axles when you least expect it and really need the 4WD.

2002 Dodge with a solid axles never a single problem. Clutch in shift to 4WD. Click. Clutch in and shift to 2WD no problem. Never hangs up or have any issues with locking into 4WD or 2WD. Works every time. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

No,  all of my lines go toward the back of the vehicle, not the front of the vehicle.

the actuator tubes go to some metal lines.  the metal lines run towards the TC.  the metal lines turn back into tubing and attach to The transfer case switch.  The transfer case switch is (IIRC) just above the TC linkage, I think it is oriented to the bottom of the truck.

I control my cad mechanically.  I love it.  that gives me 2wd low.  If  you have a manual transmission and back big trailers either learn to slip the clutch or go low.  I go low. 

HTH
Hag

• Like 1

@Haggar, great post!  However I do question the accuracy of the diagram.  On my truck the front tires are farther back.

588258351_VacuumDiagram.JPG.2807712c88131a85773f368d4a9c636c.JPG

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Another rare one is be climbing a grade but the manifold vacuum is low and have it unlock the axles when you least expect it and really need the 4WD.

@Mopar1973Man, I recommend that you turn off your vacuum operated wipers when you are going uphill.

Ok, serious now, my '02 truck is an October 2001 (with CAD) and my brother-in-laws' '02 truck is a May 2002 build (no CAD).  He was disappointed that I could not give him the 2WD Low Range function.

@BDK, since you are having to redo all the CAD connections, this could be a good time to make your truck be able to have 2WD in Low range.  Just putting it out there just in case it is something you want.  On my truck I disconnected the lines to the transfer case and mounted a vacuum control valve in the cab that directly supplies vacuum to the CAD unit.

- John

Edited by Tractorman
  • Like 1

The noncad trucks are basically in 4wd 100% of the time. Ont thing that happens to engage the front end is grab the tcase lever and shift it into gear to drive the already locked front end.

The cad trucks are also but the combination of spider gears and unlocked axles shafts means that if tcase is engaged and actuator doesn't lock the pwer will go to path of last resistance through the spider gears wich happens to then be the unlocked inner axle shaft.

Technically everything is working just the axle is soaking up the power from the transfercase in the spider that has no resistance.

I to would like to have 2hi but not on vacumn switch that will fail. Vacumn and 4wd should never go together they've been failing ever since combined in 1859

I'd like to run my dana60 with Detroit locker and old school hubs.  I'd have 2high with unlokced hubs and the ability to choose to lock both hubs or leave one unlocked if running on pavement.

Cost is much to high to convert to hubs unless I come across a dana60 out of a 78-79 ford and build a axle for fun someday. Maybe with long arms since that's  leaf sprung axle and will need stripped to go under a coil sprung dodge

I better just leave as is alone since it works and jeep hacking on my jeep .

posi lock sells a cable actuator for jeeps I'd assume they also do for the dana60 cad axles. It cost like 100bucks and also gives 2low 

Edited by Evan