• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Synthetic VS Standard oil

Curious, never used synthetic oil, just wondering what kinda of miles I can get between changes. I usually use Donaldson or Fleetguard filters. Thinking of trying Donaldson Blue filter with Synthetic. All these miles will be highway usually towing something between 4-7k. Thx for any input.

• Owner

All I will say on this is watch the long haul folks. Like Ol' @cajflynn which cleared 1.3 million miles on a 5.9L 2001 Dodge with a 53 block towing heavy daily. Chevron Delo 15w-40 and fleetguard filters every 20k miles. This is not a typo... That truck is very well documented on the site. 

There is several long haul driver that are members here and none of the long haul guys use synthetics. Like myself I ran petroleum and after 350k miles when I did a head gasket the cylinder are very clean and no issues. I'm currently at 415k miles and doing 10k mile oil changes. Chevron Delo 15w-40 or Napa 15w-40 (Valvoline) and a NAPA filters. Still going strong. I was up to 1,000 to 1,500 mile a week. Lot of long haul trips and bit cold (below 0) to frying hot (100 to 120*). Even my trip to Mohave Valley, AZ at 118*F towing my RV. No issues engine oil temps where very controlled and never above 190*F. Typically 170 to 190*F.

To this day I've not used synthetics on my truck for the engine. The only thing I still buy synthetics for is my transmission. (Mobil 50 SAE GL-4). Other than that I've used petroleum in everything else. Power steering still running my OEM power steering pump, OEM gears and axles, etc.There is no gains in life span with synthetics being I'm doing the same on Petroleum. 

415,xxx miles and no problems. 

As some might bring up I broke my transmission. The first was pure power break of the mainshaft. The second time I took all the teeth off the 5th gear. Then a few bad sets of syncros (brass) barely lasted 7 to 12k miles (couple weeks and defective). Do keep in mind I'm roughly 500 HP for engine power now. 7 x 0.010 injectors and HX35/40 Hybrid turbo.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

350k miles...

Head gasket blown - Coolant leak - Page 2 - 2nd Generation Dodge ...

#4 had a piece of turbo compressor get into the cylinder hence the rub mark.

Head gasket replacement - Page 2 - 2nd Generation Dodge 24 Valve ...

Thanks, Mike! My engine was very clean also after 450K also. I guess I was just wondering if I could stretch out oil changes on the road to maybe 30k before the oil breaks down. Sometime hard to find a reasonable price to get oil changed on the road. I figured maybe change filter every 15k .

• Owner
7 minutes ago, Blueox01 said:

I guess I was just wondering if I could stretch out oil changes on the road to maybe 30k before the oil breaks down.

I would start doing oil testing from 10k and keep testing every 5k miles to see where the oil ends life for you.

I'll give this that @dorkweed ran Walmart SuperTech Universal Diesel Oil 15w-40 and ran 87k miles on a single oil change only changing the bypass oil filter (MotorGuard) and the main oil filter every 7k miles. Then sampled the oil, topped off with replacement oil and sent of a sample for testing. He did this test on his CR truck 3rd Gen. Did it all on Blackstone labs testing. 

The main difference between synthetic and conventional is the time in which they take to break down.  Synthetic will take longer than conventional to break down.

Knowing this you can apply it to how often you change oil to see which is better for you.  If you drive alot of highway miles and change oil often then conventional is probably a better route.  If you don't drive much and only change oil twice a year then synthetic is probably a better choice.

• Like 1

• Staff

You certainly can extend your intervals with synthetic. I run 12 month changes and don’t worry about mileage, thou it’s not over 15K miles these days. Besides extended life synthetic offers much better protection in hot/cold extremes. I did a freezer test a few years ago and was shocked at how thick 15w-40 dino becomes at -5 to -10°F.. well above it’s pour point. I’ve also noticed that dino gets much thinner when hot and towing compared to the same grade synthetic towing the same loads. 

How many miles do you drive in a year?

There isn’t a better filter than the Donaldson BDL7349 and I recommend it regardless of the oil you decide to run. 

• Like 2

• Owner
5 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

I never really checked my yearly milage. I would estimate it at about 15k. 

Last time I checked I was around 65k to 67k per year.  Heck just with the trip to AZ I put over 2,000 miles on in 2 weeks. 

Just fun facts... Using 400k miles on the clock.

If you change oil every 3k miles that would be 133.3 oil changes. That would be 366.6 gallons of oil. (oil change shops), 8.72 barrels.

If you change oil every 7.5k miles that would be 53.3 oil changes. That would be 146.6 gallons of oil, 3.49 barrels.

If you change oil every 10k miles that would be 40 oil changes. That would be 110 gallons of oil, 2.61 barrels.

If you change oil every 15k miles that would be 26.6 oil changes. That would be 73.3 gallons of oil, 1.74 barrels. 

42 gallons in a barrel oil.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff
6 hours ago, Doubletrouble said:

I never really checked my yearly milage. I would estimate it at about 15k. 

You could certainly save some down time with extended OCI's. I would start with a 10K mile oil sample and if it's good run it out to 12 months. Depending on your duty cycle you might be able to go longer. 

2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Last time I checked I was around 65k to 67k per year.  Heck just with the trip to AZ I put over 2,000 miles on in 2 weeks. 

Just fun facts... Using 400k miles on the clock.

If you change oil every 3k miles that would be 133.3 oil changes. That would be 366.6 gallons of oil. (oil change shops), 8.72 barrels.

If you change oil every 7.5k miles that would be 53.3 oil changes. That would be 146.6 gallons of oil, 3.49 barrels.

If you change oil every 10k miles that would be 40 oil changes. That would be 110 gallons of oil, 2.61 barrels.

If you change oil every 15k miles that would be 26.6 oil changes. That would be 73.3 gallons of oil, 1.74 barrels. 

42 gallons in a barrel oil.

With the duty cycle you have been running the last couple years you would have been a great candidate for 25K mile synthetic oil changes to save cost and down time... but we both know that won't happen :lmao:

Of course your duty cycle should be vastly different going forward thou. 

I have run dino for the life of the truck, 507k at the moment. First Rotella and at present Delo 400. My first oci's were done in the 3500 to 4000 mile range for a couple years and then went to a 7500 oci. Then after coming around here I am at a 10k mile oci. This with the Donaldson DBL 7349. Thanks @AH64ID for that one. I have nothing against synthetics. They definitely have their place and many folks use them excusively. That being said, I will have break my dino habit with the Equinox we just bought for the wife. It takes Dexos sythetic so synthetic is in my near future. 

I should add, I rack up a lot of highway miles on mine.

Edited by dripley

Alright wacha guys smoking havent figured out if I want to take a hit as its passed around the campfire or not.

Delo400 for 15years 3 months is thts 6-10000 miles I dont relax check mine o just change it about 3 months. 

Im honestly amazed there arent amzoil pushers here.

We run Delo in everything big trucks pickups lawn mowers dirt stuff. 

• Staff

I won't "push" amsoil here. I don't know what they offer for diesels, I'm not a dealer either but I do use it in my Harley. It seems to help keep engine temps down some and on an air cooled v-twin that's a plus. Transmission also shifts smoother with it in and same for the clutch. I recommend it to guys I ride with but in that case I have personal experience with it. Not the case here.

• Owner
6 hours ago, Evan said:

We run Delo in everything big trucks pickups lawn mowers dirt stuff. 

Exactly. I've got a logging company in New Meadows, ID all they use in all the truck is Delo as well. Even right down to -40*F winter temperature. No block heaters, etc. Service trucks and all equipment is all running Delo for this entire company. Being I happen to know the crew pretty well and bring my waste oil for dumping.

• Staff

Delo 400 15w-40 is great oil and if I ever run dino oil it's my preference. 

I'm an Amsoil user/dealer but I don't push it... there isn't a point. If people want to run it they will ask questions or send PM's, of which I get plenty. 

In my 05 I ran Delo after a rebuild for 10K miles and then switched back to Amsoil. I will tell you that Delo runs hotter and at lower pressure under load than Amsoil, it also is a fair amount slower to build pressure below 20°F and based on a freezer test I wouldn't ever want to subject my motor to a cold start below 0°F with it. That being said the lower pressures and higher temps were nowhere near a limit, just something I noticed. I monitored oil temp in the filter head and oil pressure in the cam journal above the ECM

The biggest reason I run Amsoil is the 12 month oil changes, which are becoming more normal on dino too. The 2nd biggest reason is that I want an full synthetic for year round oils, and I prefer a 15w-40 over a 5w-40 for several reasons. It's hard to beat the reduced down time and single change with great summer/winter performance out of a full synthetic 15w-40.