• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Belt Tensioner Life Span

Has anyone here had to replace their belt tensioner yet? If so at how many miles was it about?

I had to down the truck for a week to get my ECM rebuilt by ACS and I'm doing other work to the truth. I was wondering if the the tension-er being OEM to the truck in 1999 is still good for years to go, or if i should replace it now.

I never replaced mine yet but I'm only at 180k now. I just replaced a tensioner on my stepdad 2000 town and country it was starting to throw the belt off every so often, he had almost 260k on the original one. 

Not even sure what brand to recommend, Geno's sells gates with a green heavy duty belt as a package. I've seen a lot of gates stuff say made in China lately.

I just purchased from Geno’s the Gates tensioner with green belt combo. Pretty cheap compared to around here. The tensioner said made in Turkey.  It’s actually my second tensioner. The other one made in China didn’t last long. It started chirping. Especially when it was cold. No more noise now. My truck has 271,000 on the clock. 

• Staff
18 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

At about 300k miles I replaced mine as a entire unit being the pulley bearing was starting to get a bit sloppy. 

replaced mine 4 times on different trucks. Mine don't get sloppy they just start making a squeeky scraping sound. I think because it rains so much around here or something.

• Owner

I don't have the shut down chirp but I have a power chirp. about every 50k to 60k the belt will chirp while under power. But looking at the new vs old belt the pulleys more or less burn the grooves out and gets too wide and no longer grips the pulley. But totally silent on shut down never makes any noise. 

• Staff
4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I don't have the shut down chirp but I have a power chirp. about every 50k to 60k the belt will chirp while under power. But looking at the new vs old belt the pulleys more or less burn the grooves out and gets too wide and no longer grips the pulley. But totally silent on shut down never makes any noise. 

Except the birds are chirping like crazy now with the change gone on around his place. :thumb1:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...