• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Raptor 100 or 150?

Looking for input, I'm pretty much stock, but hoping to add Quad Adrenaline this winter. I do have RV275's. I won't use wire tap, just Can tuning (or so I think) . The price difference is about $40 dollars, but Airdog states that the difference between the 2 pumps is the rpm of the motor (2000 for 100, 3000 for 150). Will I see any benefit of running the 150 over the 100 with the mild mods I plan. I was thinking the lower RPM 100 might last longer than the higher rpm 150, but I know that engine longevity thinking may not apply to electric motor longevity reality. 

After looking deeper into the install direction, it would seem the raptor 150 kit comes with bigger lines from the filter housing to the VP44 and from the Raptor pump to filter housing, whereas the raptor 100 kit only comes with bigger replacement lines from the pump to filter housing. To me this makes it the better deal, as long as the over capacity won't cause me any drive-ability issues, or reliability issues for the power level I am at.

@IBMobile I did see that, but only skimmed it. Sure seems to be a lot of Airdog and FASS pumps out there that are successful, but wondering if an aftermarket mechanical lift pump would be better in the long run. I see the fuel boss isn't currently available, but the Power Driven Diesel brand units are. 

I have a DTT Assassin mechanical pump from DAP,  it will suck a football down a garden hose, I use a Cat filter head and Cat 2 micron fuel filters, I do have a FP gauge but never look at it now, highest fuel temps towing my 5th is 120f at 1/2 tank

The kit from @dieselautopower was a good price but I already had the Cat filters, I'm just now removing the small steel return line from the head which cracked on our recent 2 week trip to North West UK, nothing to do with the pump it just fractured in a bracket at the side of the trans, if you go this route make sure you get 1/2" lines

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Staff
11 hours ago, IBMobile said:

I was told that the Fuel Boss pump manufacture has closed up shop since the CCP virus out brake and don't know when or if it will open again.

I wonder if they found a problem with their pumps and are thinking not to open up over the replacement cost potential.

I had a Raptor 100. After about 60,000 it was showing signs of weakness because I had to turn up the regulator a couple times to stay in range.

Now both my rigs have the 150's for a try. I think they run with less effort.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I wonder if they found a problem with their pumps and are thinking not to open up over the replacement cost potential.

I had a Raptor 100. After about 60,000 it was showing signs of weakness because I had to turn up the regulator a couple times to stay in range.

Now both my rigs have the 150's for a try. I think they run with less effort.

I agree, 66k miles and 4 years on my 100, just ordered the 150. My pressure drops at WOT too far (5-7) and high fuel temps.

• Thanks 1

• Staff
4 minutes ago, NIsaacs said:

I agree, 66k miles and 4 years on my 100, just ordered the 150. My pressure drops at WOT too far (5-7) and high fuel temps.

Same here, I noticed running uphill seemed like the 100 wasn't keeping up to the demand like it used to.

• Thanks 1

I put a 100 on mine 7 years ago. I put a 3/8 in line suction screen before it(Donaldson #P550974) and increased my lines to the pump to 3/8. It has down well ever since with a pressure drop of 6 lb at WOT pulling hard. I am  stock with rv275 injectors. The suction screen is just an in line can, but I also use them on my 400 hp cat grader that sucks 9 gallons an hour.  Going overboard on huge $100 dollar suction filters is nuts. Just my opinion. My typical load hauling my 5r is 19,700 gcw.

Edited by oldbeek
add to
  • Thanks 1

I've had 2 100's. The first one I bought new from the original owner that never installed it. After a while it developed a leak caused by one of the mounting holes being tapped too deep. I couldn't get warranty because I was not the original purchaser and the card was never sent in but they sold me a replacement at cost. I took the deal and fixed the old one for a spare in case I ever needed it. It's been collecting dust on the shelf for probably 8-9 years now...... never needed it. I've had zero issues with either one other than that and my PSI drop is well within spec.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 5/16 line banjo bolt at the pump has an area of .023 sq in.,, A 3/8 is .069 sq in. which is a 66% improvement in flow  restriction. All the 3/8 fittings and lines are larger yet. Just saying for a guy on a budget, with a stocker, 3/8 is big enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldbeek said:

The 5/16 line banjo bolt at the pump has an area of .023 sq in.,, A 3/8 is .069 sq in. which is a 66% improvement in flow  restriction. All the 3/8 fittings and lines are larger yet. Just saying for a guy on a budget, with a stocker, 3/8 is big enough.

A banjo bolt is one of the largest restrictions to flow. It's not only the orifice size, it is drastic change in direction. The standard coefficient for calculating the restriction of a banjo fitting is like 0.7..... where 1 would be no flow and 0 would be full unrestricted flow. 

• Staff
On 8/5/2020 at 10:22 AM, oldbeek said:

I put a 100 on mine 7 years ago. I put a 3/8 in line suction screen before it(Donaldson #P550974) and increased my lines to the pump to 3/8. It has down well ever since with a pressure drop of 6 lb at WOT pulling hard. I am  stock with rv275 injectors. The suction screen is just an in line can, but I also use them on my 400 hp cat grader that sucks 9 gallons an hour.  Going overboard on huge $100 dollar suction filters is nuts. Just my opinion. My typical load hauling my 5r is 19,700 gcw.

That isn't enough pressure at WOT. You need to stay above 14 to have the return fuel cooling that you need, esp. during hard pulls when the injection pump gets the hottest. Mopar1973Man calls this a slow death to the VP44.

1 hour ago, LorenS said:

At WOT, I can't imagine you need the relief to be open. The fuel you're burning is still passing through the VP absorbing heat.

I guess that would depend on the route the fuel takes thru the VP.. Does it all pass thru the area of the computer for cooling and then to the injection pump and then return the excess fuel to the tank? Or does it go to the injection pump and then get returned by the computer on its way to the tank.? I dont know enough about how fuel routes thru the pump my self. 

4 hours ago, LorenS said:

At WOT, I can't imagine you need the relief to be open. The fuel you're burning is still passing through the VP absorbing heat.

70% of the fuel should go back to tank at all times and WOT is where max heat is generated, I read the service manual yesterday on this very subject.

I had the return line off recently to replace it and put the tank end into the filler neck and ran the truck to see whats returning,  I have a really good flow back to tank and this is with a new overflow valve and the assassin geared low

• Like 1