• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Filling oil filter when changing oil?

4 hours ago, AH64ID said:

Actually they do.. just not the same style as HO. They have to have some sort of piston cooling jet as the piston cooling jet is also what lubricates the wrist pin/bushing. 

Interesting...  I've read many times that Cummins added the oil cooling jets on the HO motors.  I didnt realize that it was simply a different type.  Good to know too because I always wondered how the SO motors survived. :thumb1:

30 minutes ago, KATOOM said:

Interesting...  I've read many times that Cummins added the oil cooling jets on the HO motors.  I didnt realize that it was simply a different type.  Good to know too because I always wondered how the SO motors survived. :thumb1:

You are actually not too far off. Back in the day before the 5.9, the big truck engines did not have them. I think that is where most of the horror stories of melted pistons originated from. Back then, melted pistons was real, on turned up trucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have pre filled just a little. Most times I forget and dont prefil

Im not worried about it being unfiltered oil, cause its brand new oil right out of he jug and I do oil changes in a clean room at a hospital and I dont change oil during a sand storm or in a rodeo arena with bulls and horses kicking dirt all over the place :thumbup2::lmao2:

Edited by GSP7
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Macarena Man said:

How many folks have had an engine failure due to pre-filling their oil filters with the 'dirty' new oil ?

That is an interesting question that can't be answered. From the comments above we have all taken different directions to the issue. There is no way that one oil change is going to kill a motor. I have gone both ways thru my 50 years of driving and only lost two motors. One thru total oil starvation, ask the wife about that one. And one on the V10 when it blew shortly after an oil change. Always thought they put to much oil in but by the time it blew the engine had spit the oil out thru the tail pipe. 

I have 455k on mine with lots of idling and it still runs fine. I do have a weeping HG at the t'stat that needs to be dealt with soon. That is coming soon.

So I say take your choice and run with it.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

I think the ISB is a plastic cooling jets if I'm not mistaken. There is an upgrade for metal cooling jets. 

3937214.png

I don't know about you guys... everyone knows these are spark plug boots.

- John

• Haha 1

• Owner

Seriously this why I don't buy into the hype of synthetic oils and name brands. As long as the oil meets or exceeds the requirements of the engine use it. Our engines require CI-4 or better and typically 15w-40 viscosity is fine for most normal operation. Synthetic oil is not required. The only thing about filter filling I would heed the warning about filling the oil filters. Long ago there were reports of the oil cooling nozzles being plugged up with debris. Some of this came from the Fram oil filter problems and other came from debris falling into the center hole of the oil filter. (foil cover). Either way, anything placed in the center hole is unfiltered oil head for the bearing and cooling nozzles. 

Myself, I typically do not fill the filters anymore. Startup to oil pressure is typically 2 seconds tops. After having the head off and seeing the cylinder walls I was happy with the oils I'm using and plan on continuing down that path. Like currently running Delo 15w-40 CK-4 oil. I'm currently using NAPA filters being the frequency of my oil change is very short in time but still 7k thereabouts. 

• Like 1

• Staff

I saw a guy change to synth one time... after about a hundred thousand there was oil all over the engine from leaks. It was incredible how he thought it was so good and kept going on and on about how I need his car not to go looking at any others. He was college professor. Of course I walked away and found a real cream puff, no leaks, no tappet noise etc for 5 thousand bucks. It served us well for a long time on fred flintstone oil rinses every 5,000 miles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1